Translate

Saturday, 26 September 2015

PYRAMID CARD


        Time has come round again for the challenge at Claritystamps. This month's theme is  A Shaped Card. Loads of possibilities really with this one, cards can be all shapes these days. I decided eventually on Pyramid Card, which at first glance does not look like a card but can be left flat for posting. It is very stable as well because of the triangular shape.  So many ideas as well for decorating, I opted for some parchment and used the new Groovi system from Clarity to help me. So relaxing and very very addictive. 
         
     
My finished design  

      Right I will try to explain as clearly as I can how I created this card.  I started by cutting some card into three 6"x 6"  squares although you can make them whatever size you like. Just remember if you are going to post it that it will need to fit an envelope. Next I used three shades of distress ink and brushed them over the card randomly making the edges a little darker. I then used a blending tool over the edge to get some real depth of colour. I used Rusty Hinge, Aged Mahogany and Wild Honey.



   
       Then using the Elder leaf stamp I stamped all round the edges added some clear embossing powder and heat embossed. Difficult to get a good photo.




      Next you need to score across diagonally on all three pieces of card. Use a scoring board and make sure the card will fold really crisply. Then the pyramid will form easily.





       The picture above shows how the pieces of card were positioned for assembly. The black lines showing where the creases are. I used double sided tape. If wanting to post the card put tape on the very last edge but don't form into the pyramid, just put a little note in with card explaining how to assemble.  If you are decorating at this stage, please be careful not to stick anything over the fold lines.   
   
       I chose to use parchment designs to decorate my card, so firstly cut two pieces of parchment into 5" x 5" squares. Using just a little bit of one of the border designs from the Groovi system I embossed around the edges and then used the Sprig design plate to fill in the centres. Just lightly embossing the leaves further.


 

                                                             
        I pricked and snipped with parchment scissors all round the edge but if you are not happy to do this cutting out with scissors will be fine. It will still give a nice finish.


  
         Position the triangles onto the card again making sure not to cover the folds. Also be careful if using parchment where any glue or double sided tape is put as it can show through.



            I have added some pearls as well along the scalloped edge.  Then I stamped the elderleaf onto some card with black archival and using a white pen traced the design several times onto parchment. Next from the reverse side emboss the design carefully. I also added some colour with Spectrum Noir pencils and then from the front again carefully pricked and 
snipped around the leaves. Took a while but very relaxing.   Mine are not perfect but I am still learning this part of parchment craft. More practice needed. 


     

 
        
        The finished leaves were glued to the front of the card along one edge again being careful where the glue was applied.  

           

                

    

             Took a little while to complete but I am happy with the result. Parchment is so pretty. 

        Items used are
                           Groovi system
                           Sprig plate
                           Lace Border Plates set 1 & 2
                           Elder leaf stamp
    All available from Claritystamp

        I hope I have given you enough information here to be able to make one of these cards. I can think of many ways to decorate them. Have fun playing. 
       Thank-you for having a look at my blog today. xx


26 comments:

  1. Such an elegant card Lynne and what a lot of work! I'm not a Groovier myself yet, but I really love this design, Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you need to give it a try Susan. It does make parchment a little easier. Thank-you for your kind comment. xx

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous card Lynne it's a stunner..I had forgotten all about pyramid cards. I love what you have done. Good luck and thanks for entering x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card Lynne it's a stunner..I had forgotten all about pyramid cards. I love what you have done. Good luck and thanks for entering x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Linda. Possibilities are endless with these cards. reckon I might make one for Christmas. xx

      Delete
  4. All I can say is that this is a stunning card it is a work of art. Thank you for entering the challenge and the best of luck. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Carol, so kind. Very relaxing making this one. xx

      Delete
  5. Very nice work lovely parchment work very creative good luck in the clarity challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you. I am enjoying going back to parchment, very pretty on a card. xx

      Delete
  6. Wow Lynne what a stunning card and a clear description of how you achieved it. Thank you for entering this month's Clarity challenge. Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Angela. Was a bit of a long description. Enjoyed making this one. xx

      Delete
  7. Lynne....truly a masterpiece. great explanation of how you achieved your original design. I love the shading. (you already know I love Parchment) The stamp you have used is perfect for parchment work (have used it a few times myself) The snipping does take a bit of getting used to....just remember to keep your scissors perpendicular to your parchment and to turn the parchment as you cut. That way you wont end up with your arm at awkward angles lol. Fabulous card design Lynne. Hugs and best of luck in the challenge xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Emma, a lovely comment from an expert. Maggie helped me a lot with the snipping, I was holding scissors wrong. Now I just want to keep having another go. Thanks for all the advice, helps if I can protect my joints. xx

      Delete
  8. This is beautiful Lynne - I know that you would have had a lot of fun making this. Well worth it - a brilliant design!
    Good luck in this month's challenge.
    I know you'll be tuning in to HOCHANDA later, so have a lovely relaxing day.
    Send hugs to you & Fred :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Carole. I certainly did watch HOCHANDA, plenty of demos so was very good. Thanks for your good wishes and I hope you are both well. xx

      Delete
  9. Such an intricate card, Lynne, with so many techniques. This would make a beautiful table decoration. ;~}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an intricate card, Lynne, with so many techniques. This would make a beautiful table decoration. ;~}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelagh. A good challenge, made me think.Agree about the table decoration, I will probably make one in Christmas colours with snowflakes.xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Lynne, made one with stamped and embossed vellum snowflakes on an acetate pyramid and put an LED candle inside; one of these colour changing ones would be good too. If I can find a photo, will post it later. ;~}

      Delete
  11. You have created a real show stopper here Lynne; its gorgeous. Thanks for entering the Clarity challenge, and good luck. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. Learning a lot with the parchment and Groovi system. xx

      Delete
  12. Lynne what a masterpiece. Truly stunning. Thanks so much for entering the Cllarity Challenge and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Naomi, that is very kind. Looking forward to seeing what is in store for us next month. xx

      Delete
  13. Your card is a work of art, Lynne. The leaves look fantastic and so delicate. Reminds me of a frosty morning. Good luck in the challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank-you so much Lesley. Hope we not going to get those frosty mornings too soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your top 5 pick. Told you it was a stunner. Hugs Lynne x

    ReplyDelete